Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Creamy Taco Mac

I've seen this across many different blogs.  I'm not a big hamburger helper fan.  But since we have half a cow in the deep freeze, I often need creative ways to make ground beef, so I put this on the menu.  It's good for what it is - nice and creamy and cheesy.  I like my steak bites better, but this wasn't bad:-)

I used a version from Lauren's Kitchen

Ingredients

1.25 lbs ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
8 oz dry pasta + 1 cup reserved pasta water
1 16oz jar of salsa
4 Tbsp mild taco seasoning
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
salt & pepper
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese, plus more for garnish

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta per directions. Reserve one cup of pasta water.

Over medium heat, brown ground turkey until no longer pink. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add taco seasoning and salsa. Allow to simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Add cooked pasta, reserved water, cream cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Give it a good stir until cheeses are melty and incorporated. Simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt & pepper, as desired. Top off with cheddar cheese for extra cheesy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment